Monday, October 10, 2022

Floating Stripe Fall Leaf

 Hello and welcome back! Here's today's card:

This design was inspired by the color challenge at TGIFC and the challenge at Tic Tac Toe Challenges (center row - orange, free, fall leaves).



There are many tutorials online so you can learn how to make this type of card. I've been wanting to try this technique for awhile, and now that I've made this card, I have suggestions for those of you who want to try it too.

1. When placing your strips on the window sheet, place them a bit further apart than I did. It will make the floating effect more prominent.

2. Likewise, I think the effect will be more prominent against a lighter background.

3. For your first attempt, use a standard shape, like a circle, oval or rectangle. The uneven edges of this die made it a little more challenging to ensure that there was adhesive under all the pieces.

4. It can be difficult to get the die to cut through the layers of cardstock down to the window sheet. You may have to run it through your die-cut machine several times in different directions to get a clean cut. I have been using a self-healing cutting mat in my Big Shot rather successfully, but needed to switch back to a Sizzix plate to complete my cuts.


But even after all that, I would use this technique again. And now, I'm trying to come up with a way to use the negative spaces created by the die cuts! EDIT - here's that card!



Thanks for stopping by, and happy stamping!

--Cindi


Supplies used (all Stampin' Up!):

Stamp sets - Fond of Autumn, Another Great Year (inside sentiment)

Paper - Basic White Thick Cardstock; Basic Black, Pumpkin Pie, and Crushed Curry Cardstock; Window Sheets; scraps of DSP from my stash

Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black

Accessories - Linen Thread, Playing With Patterns Resin Dots

Tools - Big Shot, Leaflets Framelits, Stitched Greenery Die, Autumn Bouquet Dies, Multipurpose Liquid Glue, Tear & Tape, Mini Stampin' Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots

1 comment:

  1. Cindi your striped leaf is really effective and I love the way you adapted this floating technique. It looks so dramatic against the embossed black die plate background too. Gorgeous! Thanks for playing with us over at TicTacToe this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your feedback is important to me!